Thursday, February 23, 2006

Jamaica - part 1

Let me start by saying that we stayed at a wonderful resort with great amenities. Where housekeeping came by twice a day, once in the morning to make your beds and tidy up and then in the evening to turn your bed down and tidy up again. I love having my bed turned out with flower petals sprinkled about, cute little things made from towels and “Sweet dream” notes left on my pillow. ;) Your first manicure and pedicure were free. They had 24 hr room service. And they did your laundry!
We drank frozen drinks all day: Hummingbirds, Lido’s Prides, Chocolate monkeys, Dirty bananas and Pina Coladas. Other drinks included brown cows, which were the equivalent to Kahlua and creams, cranberry and vodkas and Red Stripe beer, which was their very own Jamaican beer – sometimes Bill opted for just a Miller light.
They had 5 restaurants: Café Lido, La Pasta, Munasun (Japanese), Piacere (the yummy French restaurant) and the Reggae Café. The French and Japanese restaurants you needed to make reservations for and the French restaurant had a dress code where the men had to wear jackets and no sandals or sneakers were allowed.
Just wanted to add: Before we got there I asked the wedding planner via email how I would get my dress and Bill's suit pressed when we got there and that's when she informed me that laundry was included just to contact them when I got in. So as soon as we get in the front desk is walking us to our room and I asked about laundry, they tell me it takes 48hrs and I don't have 48 hrs so she tells me to call the wedding planner. I walk in the door, put down my suitcase and call the wedding planner, I got voicemail so I left a message. She doesn't return my call until the next morning telling me I have to call laundry. So I call laundry and they come get our stuff and I tell them the wedding is the next morning at 10am, they said ok.

**Monday - Day 1**

While waiting for our flight to board in the 1st class lounge we met a 64 yr old couple who was very friendly. They go to Jamaica every year to the Hedonism II resort. He told us we should get a day pass and come over that they would be “hanging out” – literally. Um, no thanks.
The flight was wonderful. It was the first time either of us flew 1st class and we loved it. Then we took the puddle jumper from Montego Bay to Negril where I got to be the co-pilot. :D I actually FLEW the plane, it was so cool.
When we got there it was so cold with 50mph winds, no sun and just dismal for the first two days – I was beginning to worry about the weather for our wedding. Also, I was still trying to recover from my cold so we stayed inside and played pool and then walked the resort to see what was what and what was where.

**Tuesday - Day 2 (also Valentine's Day)**

Our manicure and pedicure appointments were at 9:00 am so we set our alarm to get up early enough to lounge about and get breakfast before heading to our appointment. 11:00am we had an appointment with the wedding planner where I picked my bouquet and paid for the marriage license to be sent to us express (within 60 days) otherwise it would take 6-12 months with no guarantee and what they gave us is not valid for a name change. And I really want to get rid of ex’s last name. Can you blame me?
It was still cloudy and cold with some drizzle which was forcing me to wear a jacket in Jamaica :mad: and I was still sneezy from my cold.
After meeting with the wedding planner we went downstairs, paid for our picture package and made my hair appointment.
We ate dinner at Cafe Lido - the food was awesome and Bill I learned that we love goat cheese!
Later that night we entered a pool tournament (still too cold to do much outside) and a couple that we’d met ended up winning a bottle of rum and they gave it to us as a wedding present. :) So sweet of them.
Get back to our room that evening 1/2 expecting to see our dress and suit - nothing. So I call laundry, again informing them of our wedding the next day at 10am and they said we'd have our stuff by 9am.

to be continued...

No comments: