Friday, June 2, 2006

Genetics couseling

So yesterday we went to our appointment for genetics counseling where basically all they did was talk to us, do a sonogram and a finger prick for some blood samples - all so that they can check for a chromosomal defect because of my age and history of miscarriages. The blood work will take a couple of days but just by going on the sono alone they said that everything looks good with an accuracy of 70%-80% then combine the blood work with the sono and they should be able to tell with an accuracy of 82%-90% whether or not the baby will have downs syndrome. So far so good.

Now I must say that I was really excited to see the sono and the baby was just darling. I was 12wks 1d and the baby just laid "quite comfortably" (in the words of the tech) in my uterus as though (s)he was lying in a hammock just sleeping away. The tech tried shaking the baby up a little to wake the bugger so that she could get the measurement that she needed but baby didn't wake up to well. (S)He rolled over, moved its arms but gave the tech a hard time with her measurement.

The heart rate was 157bpm and baby was measuring right on time. Bill was shocked. He said, "This is cool. I don't know what I was expecting but I didn't expect to see arms and legs (ie: a full baby)." So I'm really glad he was able to see but last night while I was lying in bed, I couldn't help to think of the tiny being that was located in my uterus just below my belly button. Honestly, I was, and still am, amazed.

No comments: