Monday, August 13, 2012

What happened to my sister by Elizabeth Flock

"You're a rock in my pocket in the river of life."

What a heart breaking read. This is the sequel to Me & Emma and I loved that one so there was no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't like this one as well. And as soon as I opened the book and 'heard' Carrie speak, I was in love with her all over again. I missed her even. Elizabeth Flock has just made it impossible for me NOT to love Carrie. I wanted to bring her home so she could live with me - to show her love, feed her, give her a bath and clean clothes, to let her be a child.

At the beginning of the book, Carrie wants you to know that she's not crazy despite what they lead you to believe at the end of Me & Emma and despite what her mother tells you repeatedly throughout the book. The story introduces us to the Ford family and is told through the eyes of Mrs. Honor Ford, who meets Carrie as she's stealing croutons and cherry tomatoes from the salad bar at Wendy's, and Carrie herself. They are both stories of survival and told seamlessly.

If you care for Carrie at all (and how could you not?), you won't be able to put this down until it's over. This is a definite read, especially if you've already read Me & Emma, and if you haven't, do yourself a favor and read it already!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent review. This does seem like a book that would capture the reader's heart.

Mike

PS Please stop over at my blog and say hi.