Monday, August 27, 2012

January First by Michael Schofield

"A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save Her" - I could stop right here. This sums it up perfectly but I'll go on.

January first is not a date. January (Janni as they called her) is a little girl and her needs come first, they have to - she's 6yrs old and has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

A lot of young kids have imaginary friends but Janni's friend can hurt her and tell her to hurt others, if she doesn't listen to them, she'll go nuts.

I'm amazed at what these parents went through (and continue to go through) every day with/for Janni. There were parts of this book that made me angry to the point of disbelief, I couldn't believe they were happening and the ending, the solution they come up with just to be a family will amaze you.

If you like a good memoir, this is a definite recommend.

No comments: