Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

What a good book.  I didn't know what to expect when I opened this book, all I knew is that I owed a review.

This story takes place in Wichita, KS in 1922 but it flashes back to earlier times and ends in 1982.  This is about a girl, Louise Brooks, who wants to go to NY to take a dance class but needs a chaperone to go.  Cora volunteers to be the chaperone because she has plans of her own in NY.  What she finds is not what she was expecting, as a matter of fact, it was so much more. 

The book flashes back to when Cora was a child and it also let's you grow old with her.

The story touches on serious issues from that time like prohibition and shows you how much times have changed - it was once frowned upon for a girl to show her knees... her knees!!  Very interesting.

I found myself caught in the pages of this book and didn't want to put it down.  I'd definitely recommend it!

2 comments:

Brasil said...

THE CHAPERONE spans the time frame from Cora's birth in the 1890's until her death in 1982. Real historical events and issues including the orphan trains, Prohibition, the Dust Bowl, birth control, equal rights for women and minorities, and other sociological and technological changes are incorporated in the plot. Ms. Moriarty is a good storyteller and the historical facts that enrich her fictional story are well researched and credible. This book is very readable and will be appreciated by readers with an interest in societal changes from the late 19th to 20th centuries in the United States and especially by those with a connection to Wichita, Kansas during that time.

Sharon said...

Thank you Brasil for this comment. I wish I had included all of this information in my own review. :)