Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain

4.5/5
I'm a huge Diane Chamberlain fan. She never disappoints me so I was thrilled to see this was a 'read now' on Netgalley and snatched it right up.  Thank you Netgalley!

Now, I'm also someone who reads blind; I rarely read the synopsis.  I trust certain authors and genres, the reviews of others, ratings; I follow the buzz and I love a good cover and this doesn't always work to my advantage, as you can imagine.  To say that I was blind-sided to find out that this book was about time travel is an understatement.  I had no idea.  I can't recall ever reading a book with time travel.

"If I'd learned anything in the last day, it was that the love of a mother could make a hero out of an everyday woman."

It is 1970 when Caroline is told that her baby has a heart defect and won't live long outside of the womb.  Rightfully, she's devastated.  She just lost her husband in Vietnam and this baby was a piece of him, it would be cruel to lose them both.  Her brother-in-law, Hunter, then tells her of a way but what he explains to her is unthinkable.  Impossible.

It was a little mushy at times and I felt it stalled out once, which is ultimately what prevented me from giving it 5 stars but Diane Chamberlain is a master at story telling.

No comments: